Post-416 Fire: Emergency Watershed Protection Program

Post-416 Fire: Emergency Watershed Protection Program
Posted on 08/09/2018
Though the 416 Fire has been contained since July 31, the fire's impacts are continuing for residents who live below the burn scar. Lost vegetation and changes to soil composition increase the risk of flooding and debris flow. Many properties have been affected already by these events, and more are likely to see flooding in the months and years to come.

Flood after fire: Resources & preparedness tools

The Natural Resources Conservation Service's Emergency Watershed Protection Program assists local communities with recovery following disasters such as the 416 Fire  by providing funds to assist in the removal of debris and installing emergency measures to reduce hazards and future disaster costs.

Public Meeting: Emergency Watershed Protection Program for 416 Fire-related flooding (video)

Emergency Watershed Protection Program Framework & Overview (pdf)

Drainage Law and Permitting (pdf)

Frequently Asked Questions (pdf)

More about the NRCS Emergency Watershed Protection Program

416 Fire Emergency Watershed Protection Program

The program has identified projects on 162 properties in the 416 Fire burn scar, and will fund 75% of the cost of these projects. Property owners would be responsible for the remaining 25%. All permitting, design and construction work would be performed through a local sponsor.

Property owners who have received a damage survey report from NRCS and wish to participate in the Emergency Watershed Protection program must complete and return the following forms by Sept. 14, 2018:

- Permission to Enter Property for Engineering & Design (pdf)
- Permission to Use Drones for Aerial Data Collection (pdf)

Additionally, please review the (draft) form below and provide any questions or comments by Sept. 14, 2018:

Request for Assistance & Participation Agreement (pdf)

This agreement will be required prior to any construction work beginning on your property.

Please return the forms via email to
or by mail to
La Plata County Administration
1101 E. 2nd Ave.
Durango, CO 81301

Contacts & Resources

This list of resources can help answer any questions you might have about the Emergency Watershed Protection program and other flood-related cleanup issues.